Housing ( Scotland) Act 2014 New Mobile/Park Home Site Licensing

Posted on

Housing (Scotland) Act 2014

New Mobile/Park Home Site Licensing Regime

A Housing Act was passed into law by the Scottish Parliament in August 2014 which will have a profound effect on the way park/mobile homes sites in Scotland are run in the future.

Hard on the heels of the strengthened legislation giving greater protection to residents and enabling them to buy and sell park homes without interference from site owners the Bill aims to introduce legislation to give local authorities in Scotland much greater powers to regulate park home sites and park home site owners. Within two years of the Bill becoming law, all site owners in Scotland will require to reapply for their licences and thereafter renew the licence every five years.

Local authorities will be able to charge a fee for the licence — thought to be probably around£600 per application.  When applying for a licence, where the applicant is a company, the Main director will require to undergo a Fit and proper Person test as will his managers and particularly the local site manager. Where an applicant is refused a licence, or an existing licence is revoked, authorities will have the power to appoint an interim manager. In this regard, Willow Wood representatives have asked the officials concerned in the Bill to look at linking such powers to Community Ownership under Land Reform legislation currently being consideredby the Parliament.

This Bill has teeth; site owners flouting the proposed laws will be liable to fines of up to £50000 and losing their licences.

The Bill is expected to come into effect in 2016/17

  • Goldshield
  • Resitex
  • Park Home Assist

Park Homes Scotland in association with Goldshield, Resitex, Park Home Assist.

Registered Company: SC449475 | VAT Reg No 975 633 873

The information on this website is not intended and should not be taken to be legal or to be professional advice. We therefore accept no responsibility in any way for its use. Please contact us here if you wish to seek advice.